Saturday, April 18, 2009
Bizarre Foods
After watching this show it really expresses the variety that is found throughout the world when it comes to diet. While I was visiting Spain I did try some of the cold ceviche soup. That is not very exotic compared to some of the things that Andrew Zimmern eats on his travels. I think the best explanation for the difference in culinary appetites throughout the world comes down to simply what is available. In Tanzania, eating meat is very rare since they are so valuable, so they use the animals to provide milk, blood and other products to eat. In India they use the spices and other natural ingredients that grow around them. In Hawaii the chefs are trying to come back to more local ingredients and styles of cooking. The vast variety of foods and the cultural ties that each has makes me sad that we Americans have resorted to the sameness of fast food. I think I would like to experience a little bit of culture every time I go to eat something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment